Camp Michawana Friends,
As we navigate the COVID situation, we are left with numerous questions with uncertain answers. In this letter I hope to bring some clarity to your concerns and provide you with a roadmap of our thought process on our direction moving forward. The most common words that I have heard over the last few weeks are “uncertain” and “unknown.” It has, however, been an impactful time to reflect on the fact that God is in control.
Camp Michawana has three different sections of business, Kids’ Summer Camp, Rental Groups, and the RV Campground. This letter will address our timeline for decisions related to Summer Camp. These decisions will be made by myself along with the Executive Committee of the Board of Directors.
We have decided that we will make ‘go/no go’ decisions on a two-week cycle beginning May 21. This means the decision to cancel the first two weeks of summer camp (June 14 – 26) will be made on May 21. The decision for weeks three and four (June 28 – July 10) will be made on June 4. Weeks five and six (July 12 – 24) will be decided on June 18. The decision for Family Camp 1 and 2 (July 24- August 6) will be made July 2.
For those of you who have already registered, if your week of camp is cancelled, you will have a few options to consider:
- Receive a full refund
- Transfer your deposit to a later date (later session for 2020 or apply to 2021 account)
- Generously donate your registration payment to Camp Michawana
Our Camp Administrator will make contact with registered campers if cancellations occur. Please be gracious on the timing if/when we begin processing.
Decisions for our rental groups will be made on a case-by-case basis. Our RV Campground is currently scheduled to open on May 15, coinciding with the end of the current stay-at-home executive order for the state of Michigan.
Here are some ways you can help. First and foremost, pray! Pray for healing and restoration. Also, prayerfully consider giving financially to Camp Michawana. We have already seen a loss of revenue of over $30,000. We are doing all we can to conserve the funds God has provided for us, and we continue to seek the Lord’s guidance in how to best steward His provision.
We are all praying for health for you and your families.
Executive Director, Camp Michawana